FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Harbourfront Centre marks the Year of the Horse with annual LunarFest celebration, Jan. 25-26
Delicious dumplings, live performance and luminous weekend entertainment for the whole family – a Lunar New Year celebration like no otherTORONTO, ON (January 15, 2014) – Harbourfront Centre rings in the Lunar New Year at the third annual LunarFest, Jan. 25-26. In recognition of the Year of the Horse, this year's festival features a diverse range of equine-themed events, co-produced with the Asian-Canadian Special Events Association. For centuries, humans relied on the strength of horses to drive civilizations forward. As we prepare to celebrate the Year of the Horse, Harbourfront Centre draws programming inspiration from horses and their contribution to mankind’s development and progress into modernity. Through a broad range of arts and cultural activities for visitors of all ages, LunarFest 2014 marks the symbolic significance of the horse within the Chinese Zodiac sign while presenting unique opportunities for visitors to celebrate the Lunar New Year. “We are celebrating the Year of the Horse in a big way – we’re bringing one of the largest rocking horses on earth to LunarFest this year,” shares Charlie Wu, festival curator and managing director of the Asian-Canadian Special Events Association. “It’s nearly two-storyes tall! For thousands of years, horses travelled throughout some of the most beautiful places in Asia. Lantern Palaces, our first-ever lantern theatrical installation, takes audiences on a historical journey through some of these Asian countries. Our creative team has choreographed a puppet-like play using lanterns as performers to tell this story – it’s a must-see this year.” Festival highlights include:
For additional information and complete LunarFest event listings, the public may visit harbourfrontcentre.com/lunarfest or call the Information Hotline at 416-973-4000. Harbourfront Centre is located at 235 Queens Quay West in the heart of downtown Toronto’s waterfront. For information about getting here during the Queens Quay revitalization, visit harbourfrontcentre.com/gettinghereABOUT HARBOURFRONT CENTREHarbourfront Centre is a Canadian charity operating the 10 prime acres of Toronto’s central waterfront as a free and open public site. We celebrate the multiplicities of cultures that comprise Canada and enliven the city through the creative imaginations of artists from across the country and around the globe.
- DJ Skate Nights LunarSkate featuring K-pop party crew Pop! Goes the World
- Dumpling Fest, discover the meaning of each dumpling and savour their unique flavours
- Lantern Palaces, experience the magic of traditional lanterns, presented as a theatrical play inspired by puppetry. Features life-sized lantern horses and historical Asian palaces
- Lunar Tea, a tradition in China over 5,000 years. Sample various teas and experience the detoxing agents of this delicious natural medicine.
- My Rocking Horse, a 15-foot tall rocking horse at Ontario Square
- Live performances from Ho Deng Music Ensemble
- Winter FUNderland craft workshops, including sky lanterns and paper horse creation
- Plus much more!
-30-MEDIA CONTACTChrissi ForteOffice: 416-973-4342 | Cell: firstname.lastname@example.org